Organisational Development is a planned, systematic approach to improving organisational effectiveness – one that aligns strategy, people and processes.
To achieve the desired goals of high performance and competitive advantage, organisations are often in the midst of significant change. Often inspirational vision for the organisation gets created by a few and then thrust upon the many. Too often, this results in these change initiatives ending in a successful change of procedures and structures, but less sustainable change in ways of working, culture and effectiveness. organisational development (OD) is a specific perspective and area of expertise which speaks to this challenge.
One way of defining organisational development is as a systematic approach to improving organisational effectiveness – one that aligns strategy, people and processes.
Organisational development can enable an organisation to be ready for the future by taking steps which create an environment that allows employees to understand, embody and deliver the organisation’s objectives. OD involves both “hard” issues – strategy, policies, structures and systems – and “soft” issues those that develop appropriate skills, behaviours, attitudes, culture and a style of leadership that will enable organisations to deliver optimum performance. To avoid conflict between organisational goals and needs, it is imperative that both these issues are addressed.
The key distinctive feature of an organisational development perspective is taking a holistic focus; paying attention to how what is done in one part of the organisation impacts on another. As more and more practitioners and clients are paying attention to the value that OD can add to their organisations, we are working with them to build their capacity and confidence in taking an OD perspective and developing OD expertise.
In the area of organisational development we offer several different areas of expertise:
- OD consultancy: supporting organisations through change programmes – for example supporting cultural change, or approaching specific projects which require expertise in participative approaches to change.
- OD capacity building through tailored OD development programmes –either for OD practitioners or HR professionals.
- OD coaching: supporting organisations in the development their OD strategies, providing support and challenge as they consider the implications of approaching inititatives with an OD perspective.
Examples of recent organisational development client work include:
- Working with a FTSE 100 telecoms company to increase OD capacity and confidence at a senior HR professionals level by providing an OD qualification.
- Working with a Housing Association to support a culture change initiative following a series of mergers.
- OD consultancy with a large, multi-site organisation to explore the effectiveness of their different structures and ways of working, resulting in some specific interventions to improve efficiency.
- Coaching with a large national charity to support the development of their OD strategy.
To discuss your organisational development requirements in more detail, please contact us.