Founded in 1946, Roffey Park is a charitable trust which is internationally recognised for developing innovative learning approaches that enable individuals to achieve their full potential both at work and in their wider lives.
Roffey Park’s charitable objectives are:
- To conduct promote and support for the benefit of the public research into questions affecting the health and welfare of all those engaged in industry, commerce and the public services and particularly into questions concerning the relations between management and employees and into the application of the Social Sciences to such questions and to publish the results of such research.
- To advance education by providing training and discussion courses in all or any aspects of the science of personnel management for managers, administrators and supervisors and others having similar responsibilities.
Roffey Park continues to support less well off organisations, including charities, both through preferential pricing on programmes and gifted work. The facilities are regularly hired out at reduced rates to local charitable organisations. Concessions are available in each activity and we estimate their worth to be in excess of £200,000.
Research projects continue to focus on the effects on people of change in organisational life and high performance in the workplace. Research in progress includes: the enlightened workplace; socially responsible leadership, complexity and learning in organisations, successful diversity and equality strategies and cross-cultural teams. Dissemination of information resulting from research projects was achieved by the publication of research reports and through books, articles, conference presentations, events and webinars.
We have a panel which looks at requests from small to medium charities and community based organisations. One such project was with British Youth Opera which seeks to advance education through music and drama to prepare singers for the world of professional opera.
In the wider world
Like any organisation, we have a role to play in minimising our impact on the environment and focusing on sustainability. We do this through a number of ways:
- Working towards the internationally recognised ISO14001 in environmental management which will redefine our approach and policy across the organisation.
- Minimise waste, reduce consumption of materials and promote recycling.
- Investigate ways of reducing the consumption of energy and water through education, procurement of efficient equipment, supportive policies and investment.
- Work to maintain and enhance the quality of the built and natural environment, respecting local wildlife and their habitats.
- Raise awareness amongst staff of environmental issues and encourage participation through education and training initiatives.
- Design energy efficiency into new services, buildings and products and manage energy wisely in all operations, using sustainable energy sources wherever appropriate.
- Ensure that Roffey Park, as a consumer, uses the least environmentally damaging products whenever possible.
For more information please view our Environmental Policy.
In the community
Roffey Park’s venue facilities are used by many local charities and schools and our staff participate in numerous charity activities raising funds for both local and national campaigns. We also offer work experience opportunities for students from a range of local schools. Local artists are encouraged to display their work across our building and grounds We are currently hosting an exhibition of work from four local artists from the ‘Emily Ball studio’ at Seawhite, Francis Stevens, Jill Gordon, Juliet Robertson and Lesley Haydn Jones – who are showing a number of pieces of contemporary art. The current exhibition will be on display until the end of April 2013.
As an employer
Roffey Park aims to create a thriving work environment for all its employees, fostering engagement and growth. We are passionate about our work with clients and participants. Every employee has a role to play in delivering the best possible service to our clients whether this is through facilitating a programme, maintaining our grounds, providing course materials or producing quality meals in our restaurant. In addition to salary a range of benefits are provided to support personal development, promote well-being and support a work-life balance. We foster a culture of philanthropy and committed giving in the workplace, by providing a charitable payroll-giving scheme for employees.
Board of trustees
Roffey Park’s Board of Trustees and Directors is drawn from individual members and representatives from member companies of the Institute, and is chaired by Alison Ritchie, BSc (Hons) FRSA. Alison’s career for over 24 years was in telecommunications at BT and she was the first woman to be appointed to the most senior executive committee in BT. Senior roles with the company included Group Procurement Director, Group Regulatory Affairs Director, Chief Executive of BTopenworld, (BT’s internet company) and Chief Broadband Officer. She also served as Chair of BT’s Corporate Social Responsibility Steering Group and was a member of the company’s plc Board Sub-Committee on Community Support. Non-BT interests have included director roles at Partnership Sourcing Ltd and the British Quality Foundation. In 2007, Alison spent a year attached to London Business School’s Women in Business Centre as Executive-in-Residence.
Company and charity registration
Roffey Park Institute Limited is a Charity Registered with the Charity Commission No. 254591 and a Company Limited by Guarantee Registered in England No. 923975. VAT No. 821797900.
Lettings activity is undertaken by Roffey Park Services Limited, a Company Limited by Shares Registered in England No. 5025908, a wholly owned subsidiary of Roffey Park Institute Limited. VAT No. 821797900.
Roffey Park Asia Pacific Pte Ltd was registered as a private limited company in Singapore on 23 July 2010 No. 201015595E, a wholly owned subsidiary of Roffey Park Institute Limited.
Registered Office for Roffey Park Institute: Roffey Park Institute, Forest Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 4TB
Registered Office for Roffey Park Asia Pacific Pte Ltd: 15 Beach Road, #03-07, Beach Centre, Singapore 189677
Annual report and accounts
Click here to view the latest report.